NEW Collaborative Project
First Assessment May 2024
THE COLLABORATIVE PROJECT
Collaborative Project is an External Assessment for IB Theatre
Weighting: SL 40% or HL 25%
Students at SL and HL collaboratively create and perform an original piece of theatre (lasting 7–10 minutes maximum) created from a starting point of their choice. The piece is presented to an audience as a fully-realized production. Each student submits the following.
For the Collaborative Project you will work in a group of 2-6 people to create (devise) an original piece of theatre at "touring scale".
As a collaborative group, you will:
- Choose and explore a starting point that is not an existing piece of theatre
- Formulate your own Theatre-Maker Intentions (TMIs) as a group.
- Work together to create, direct and design all aspects of the final piece and present to an audience.
- Individually contribute to multiple moments of Tension, Emotion, Atmosphere and/or Meaning (TEAM) both as performer and as creator, director and/or designer.
What do you submit to the IB?
- The performance must be between 7 and 10 minutes long, filmed in one unedited take, and everyone must perform. Only students from the assessed cohort may form the group of 2-6 performers, but if you are the only IB2 student then your teacher must allow only non-assessed students to join you (e.g. up to 5 IB1 students).
- There is a maximum of 10 pages allowed in the report, excluding the list of sources. A further, ‘backup’ limit of 4,000 words is placed by the IB, though it is not expected that you will get anywhere near! It is there to ensure you don’t write 10 page essays! Use relevant images, with citations, captions and/or annotations. All text within images, diagrams and tables are included in the page limit and maximum word count.
IMPORTANT GUIDELINES TO REMEMBER
- YOU SHOULD KEEP THINGS TOURING-SCALE AND FOCUS ON PERFORMANCE
- KEEP YOUR TECH LIMITED TO WHAT IS REQUIRED TO FULFILL YOUR THEATRE-MAKER INTENTIONS.
- EVERYBODY MUST PERFORM
- ALL STUDENTS SHOULD HAVE ROUGHLY EQUAL CONTRIBUTION ON STAGE TO SCORE WELL.
Sources: Kieren Burgess CP Student Info Booklet and the IB Theatre Guide - First Assessment May 2024
Photo credit: Rehearsal for The Secret in the Wings - WSA 2015